References and Literature

Production: Centro Náutico da Bahia, State Government of Bahia and Omar G.
Issue: November 2005
Info tab in Nautical Centre of Bahia by phone 71 3319 3434

The information below is transcribed from the book mentioned above, except updating information snippets.

"Belonging to the municipality of Cairo, Morro de São Paulo is located at the northern end of Tinharé, was the first site chosen by the settlers who came to settle in the Province of São Jorge dos Ilheus in 1535. Their position was strategic for defense against invaders, anticipating the Bay of All Saints, and served as input for the Rio A, to the interior of the continent. So, the location was important in defense against the Dutch and for centuries as an area farm.

Become important in the region, the villages of Boipeba, settlement began in 1565, made in 1610 and Cairu village, Our Lady of the Rosary of Cairo, which was the major regional center and became a major center of the colony, with notable figures political and economic life, including being the headquarters of the Captaincy of Ilheus ombudsman. However, because of attacks by Indians aimorés, the city fell into decay.

Currently in addition to highlighting the culture of india clove, black pepper and guarana kingdom, is one of the largest producers of palm fiber in the world. Calm and quiet Cairu is a city that offers remarkable heritage, highlighting the Convent of St. Anthony (1661 - 1750), significant work of Brazilian religious Baroque.

Are historic sites in the region, including cosntruções seventeenth and twentieth centuries, besides of Cairo, Morro de Sao Paulo, the Knoll Galleon and the Old Boipeba.

The region consists of the islands of Tinharé and Boipeba Cairu, plus part of the continent, further south, where we highlight some villages and beaches.

Morro de São Paulo and Gamboa do Morro is undoubtedly the most sought after by anyone surfing spots, not only recognized internationally for its beauty, but also for infrastructure support to the tourists. Are numerous hotels, inns, bars, restaurants, shops and stalls Beach.

The only boating infrastructure available is the Yacht Club of Morro de São Paulo, which despite the name, is not a club in the traditional mold, it does not have shareholders, but customers who can enjoy the bar, restaurant and nautical base that with rare beauty, reinforces this good choice to stop. "


The Yacht Club of Morro de São Paulo, no longer exists, so only his name survived as people still refer to that point as the Yacht Club of Morro de São Paulo, and a wooden pier. Currently the only nautical infrastructure available is the Nature Sailing Club, which is a Sailing Club Sports, Sailing facing beach, but seeks to assist browsers that pass through Morro de São Paulo, with information on best moorings, route, etc..

There are several options for fishing and diving that may indicate local experts. We highlight the 'Thirty Five' (fathoms in depth) where boats fundeiam to fish. Who loves scuba diving, you should go to the stones of Benedicta, Taiba and Tati-Mirim, distant between 3 and 7 miles from the island of Tinharé.

Book: ecotourism TOURS OF BAHIA - PALM COAST
Production: Government of Bahia State, Department of Culture and Tourism and Tourism Development Superintendent - Dudetur
Edition: 2006
Info tab in SUDETUR 71 3341 0270 or by email @ sct.sudetur

The information below is transcribed from the book mentioned above, except updating information snippets.

"... The coast of Palm is among the oldest areas of occupation and settlement of Brazil. The first reports on these fertile lands and abundant water date back to the third decade of the sixteenth century, when Martim Afonso de Souza, military and Portuguese colonial administrator, at the behest of King D. John III, The Settler, led an expedition of five ships (1530-1533) with the threefold mission of exploring the coast from Maranhão to the River Plate, preventing trade of wood-Brazil by French and founding the first Lusitanian cores in Brazil Quinhentista.
To our knowledge, Martim Afonso de Souza was the first European to set foot on the beaches of Palm Coast. With reasonable certainty can be said that the colonizer, born in the year of the discovery of Brazil, anchored his fleet in a natural harbor, located in the current Contracosta Morro de São Paulo, a cliff of sandstone that dominates the landscape of the place that tupiniquins Indians named ty-Nha-defendant, "what comes forward in the water".
In fact, it is a coastal island (Tinharé) separated from the mainland by an arm of the sea (Channel Taperoá) that in the eyes of the Indians, seemed a piece of land "that came forward in the water." Despite this foray Lusitanian, a landmark in the settlement of the region must be located in the division of the coast of Brazil in hereditary captaincies, donated by the king to people you trust and who were willing to invest in the land of Santa Cruz.
The land currently occupied by the State of Bahia was divided in 1534 into three captaincies:
What was granted to Francisco Pereira Coutinho - Captaincy of Bahia - and that extended 50 leagues of coast from the mouth of the São Francisco River to the tip of Todos os Santos Bay, including the Reconcavo.
The Captaincy of Ilheus, donated to Jorge Figueiredo Correa, which started at the mouth of the river Jaguaribe, also in the All Saints Bay, just below the southern tip of the island of Itaparica (Tip Garcez), and al 50 leagues direction, to the south to the north bank of the River Jequitinhonha.
And the captaincy of Porto Seguro, which began at the edge of the Captaincy of Ilheus and extended to the Mucuri river, donated to the Field Tourinho Pero. All captaincies stretched for 10 leagues into the sea, covering the islands that were found, and the hinterland and land, to the boundary line demarcated by the Treaty of Tordesillas.
One such grantee, the Captaincy of Ilheus, covering the current Palm Coast, was donated on June 26, 1534 Jorge Figueiredo Correa Hidalgo kingdom and Registrar of the Royal Treasury which, according to Eduardo Bueno at Captains Brasi: The saga of the early settlers, "was among the grantees, which had better conditions, elements and finances to colonize his captaincy." Jorge Correa had been in Porto Seguro in 1500 with a fleet of Pedro Alvares Cabral.
The Captain General donee, however, did not travel to Brazil (he died in 1550) and sent as his representative Francisco Romero, noble, born in Castile, Spain, "experienced and wise man and good things for the war". In 1535, Francisco Romero left Lisbon and came to anchor in Tinharé where after battling wild Indians, lifted a village on top of Morro de São Paulo.
In this initial settlement, thirty Christians devoted themselves to the cultivation of cotton and probably did some extraction of Brazil wood. Thus, at the north end of Tinharé - Morro de Sao Paulo -, rose one of the oldest settlements in Brazil and the first of the Captaincy of Ilheus. The early settlement, however, did not prosper. Francisco Romero acaou heading south and the Bay of Islanders, founded the village of São Jorge dos Ilheus, the headquarters of the Captaincy.. "(pp. 14, 15 and 16)

Author: Hélio Magalhães
Published: Group I - Grum Publishing Ltd. in association with the Inner Sea Publisher
Support: Bahiatursa - Official Tourism Authority of Bahia
Details about routes you will find in the guide, sales and more information by calling (11) 3066 0801 and (11) 3066 0809

The information below is transcribed from the book mentioned above, except updating information snippets.



After the Bay of All Saints, the coast is marked by long sandy beaches and only a few hills are visible from off. In good weather Morro de São Paulo, where the lighthouse is seen during more than half of the path, providing a safe and basically navigation "olhômetro". Mariners should keep in depths above 12 meters, especially during the passage through the island of Itaparica.

After leaving the safo Quiepe and Reefs Sororocuçu the island, the sailor who is leaving the Bay Camamú not find obstacles to navigation, remaining at depths above 25 meters. The coast is low, with hills and distant mountains to the beach, covered by extensive coconut groves. After the tip of the Castilians, who advances into the sea, one can identify the bar of the Inferno River, which separates the islands of Tinharé and Boipeba. We recommend keeping good lazeira regarding Ponta Pana and Caitás Reefs, where the sea breaks. Morro de Sao Paulo is also visible from the side.


A hill that's seen off two peaks. The south slope falls gently over the ocean while in the north, has steeper slope. Near its north face is the lighthouse of Morro de São Paulo, a white tower of 89 meters high, with the notable better reference point for flying to destinations archipelago Tinharé.
At night, the lighthouse displays white light with a range of 23 miles, sighted in smaller markings than 355 º true.

TIP Pana
It is a depth for easy identification approximately 5 miles south of Morro de São Paulo, covered in dense vegetation and it advances into the sea. The navigation east of the tip should be taken with caution, due to the existence of shoals, and always at depths above 15 meters.

It's a spit in advancing sea covered by dense coconut and easy identification. Located between the bar and the river of Hell Quiepe Island, the tip should be left with enough lazeira due to the existence of some high-back east.


During the northern approach, it is easy to identify the Forte da Ponta and some coconut trees in their vicinity. Morro de Sao Paulo, the lighthouse and beaches with some houses and small buildings are also visible. The Caitás reef, east of the hill and sighted on the port, it is easy to identify due to the sea that breaks on it.

Coming from the south, the navigator will have no difficulty in identifying the reef Caitás. On it are two small palm trees are seen after the surf in nice weather and low water. The navigation in the vicinity of the reef should be avoided.
After leaving the Caitás safo on the port, it can be walking straight to the waypoint leaving Tinh 01, also to port, the beaches of Morro de São Paulo, where you see some houses and small buildings. Forte da Ponta and coconut palms in their proximity are also easily identifiable ... "(Pp: 193, 194 and 105)